Trials of Fate
Human powers of the Expanse
- Rogue Traders – The only group that can truly claim to be masters of the Expanse are the rogue traders. To them the Koronus Expanse is an unplucked apple, ripe for the taking, and their exploits, trials, and conflicts are the driving force behind many events in the Expanse.
- Imperial Navy – Rarely sighted in the Expanse, though a small but capable taskforce, Passage Watch 27 Est (sometimes nicknamed “Battlefleet Koronus”) is based at Port Wander and occasionally makes forays into and beyond the Maw.
- Ecclesiarchy – There are no true Ecclesiarchy strongholds in the Expanse, but wherever there are humans of the Imperium, there are clerics. The Expanse is dotted with colonies and hermitages nominally under their control, and Missionaries inexorably make their way through the Maw, drawn by the heathen worlds waiting to be converted.
- Adeptus Mechanicus – Any uncharted region of space is of interest to the Techpriests of Mars, and the Koronus Expanse especially so due to the high concentration of worlds settled by humans in ancient times. Their Explorator Fleets constantly search the Expanse for lost technology and unusual stellar phenomena.
- Pirates and other renegades – The uncharted spaces of the Expanse are the perfect refuge for those wishing to hide from Imperial law. Pirates have always been a danger and a nuisance in the Expanse. More sinister still are the reports of the increased activity of Chaos reavers.